Email: parbin[at]civil.nits.ac.in | parbinsultana[at]rediffmail.com
Date of Joining: 03/05/2010
Academic/Industrial Experience (in years):
ACADEMIC / INDUSTRIAL EXPERIENCE (Details)
- July, 2005 – January, 2006, Civil Engineer and Project Tracker, CH2M Hill Construction (I) Pvt. Ltd.
- January, 2006 – April, 2007, Trainee Engineer, Brahmaputra Infrastructure Ltd.
- June, 2008 – April, 2010, Lecturer, Sree Sankara College of Medical Science, Management & Technology
- May, 2010 – till date, Assistant Professor (Gr. II), NIT Silchar
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS (FULL DETAILS )
- BE in Civil Engineering from Dibrugarh University (Jorhat Engineering College)
- ME in Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering from Gauhati University (Assam Engineering College)
- PhD (NIT Silchar)
AREA OF INTEREST AND SPECIALIZATION (INCLUDING RESEARCH AREA)
- Statistical, Probabilistic and reliability methods
- Application of AI Technique in Geotechnical Engineering
- Foundations Engineering
- Soil stabilization
- Ground improvement
SHORT BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
Dr. Parbin Sultana completed B.E. (Civil) from Jorhat Engineering College, Jorhat, Assam. She did her Master of Engineering in Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering from Assam Engineering College, Guwahati and PhD from NIT Silchar. She has 2 years of experience in industries and 14 years of experience in teaching; has been holding the post of Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering Department in NIT Silchar since May, 2010. She is a Life Member of Indian Geotechnical Society (IGS) and Institute of Engineers (India)
BOOKS / BOOK CHAPTERS
- Debnath, S., Sultana, P. (2021). Development of Liquefaction Index Prediction Equations from Post-liquefaction CPT Data Using ANN and GEP. In: Patel, S., Solanki, C.H., Reddy, K.R., Shukla, S.K. (eds) Proceedings of the Indian Geotechnical Conference 2019. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, vol 137. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-33-6466-0_38
- Debnath S. and Sultana P. Prediction of Settlement of Shallow Foundation on Cohesion less Soil Using Artificial Neural Network, Proceedings of the 7th Indian Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference, Lectre Notesu in Civil Engineering, Vol 195, pp 477-486, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-6456-4_49
- Karmakar, S.K., Sultana, P., Dey, A.K. (2019). Use of Jhama Columns as Replacement of Stone Columns. In: Thyagaraj, T. (eds) Ground Improvement Techniques and Geosynthetics. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering , vol 14. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-0559-7_17
SUBJECTS TAUGHT (INCLUDING SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING)
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Foundation Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory
- Foundation Engineering Laboratory
- Surveying and Geomatics Laboratory
- Advanced Foundation Engineering
- Probability Methods in Civil Engineering
- Life Member of Indian Geotechnical Society (IGS)
- Member of Institute of Engineers (India)
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Award for Best Oral Presentation in RISE-2017 at NIT Silchar
- IGS-Shri B.N. Gupta Biennial Prize for the Best Paper on Shallow Foundations, December, 2021
- Member Secretary, ICC, NIT Silchar
- Member, DUPC, Department of Civil Engineering
- Member, Departmental Women Welfare Committee
- Faculty Coordinator, 2nd Year UG (CE)
MANUSCRIPT REVIEWED FROM
- Hazari S. and Sultana P. (2014), “Comparative Study of Soil Slopes Using Static and Pseudo Static Approaches”, IJERT, Vol 3, Issue 05, May – 2014.
- Thounaojam S. and Sultana P. (2015), “Prediction of Bearing Capacity of Bored Cast-In Situ Pile”, International Journal of Research in Science and Technology, Vol 2, Issue 1, pp. 51-56
- Sultana P. and Dey A. K. (2018), “Regression Analysis of Short Term Time-Settlement Response of Soft Clayey Soil at Constant Loading Condition”, IJCIET, Vol 9, Issue 10, pp. 1832-1840, October- 2018
- Sultana P. and Dey A. K. (2018), “Estimation of Ultimate Bearing Capacity of Footings on Soft Clay from Plate Load Test Data Considering Variability”, Indian Geotechnical Journal, DOI: 10.1007/s40098-018-0311-9
- Sultana P., Dey A. K. and Kumar D. (2022), “Empirical approach for prediction of bearing pressure of spread footings on clayey soil using artificial intelligence (AI) techniques”, Results in Engineering, Vol. 15, DOI: 10.1016/j.rineng.2022.100489
- Jena K. C. and Sultana P. “Effect of Rainfall Intensity on Soil Erosion and Mitigation Using Ground Cover”, International Conference on Latest Trends and Practices in Management, Technology and Social Sciences, Manali, 28th April, 2015.
- Paul S. and Sultana P. “Stabilization of Organic Soil Using Lime”, International Conference on Latest Trends and Practices in Management, Technology and Social Sciences, Manali, 28th April, 2015.
- Thounaojam S. and Sultana P. “Prediction of Bearing Capacity of Bored Cast-In-Situ Pile”, International Conference on Current Researches in Management, Technology and Social Sciences, 26th March, 2015.
- Sultana P. and Manikandan R. “Behaviour on Joint Spacing and Settlement of Pile Raft Foundation Resting on Jointed Hoek-Brown Rocks”, Indian Geotechnical Conference, IGC 2015, Pune, 17-19 December, 2015.
- Seal P. R. and Sultana P., “Deterministic Seismic Hazard Analysis of a Dam Site Located at High Seismic Zone”, Research Conclave on Recent Innovations in Science and Engineering, RISE 2017, Silchar, 24-26 March, 2017.
- Sultana P. and Dey A. K., “Regression Analysis of Time Rate of Settlement of Soft Clay Soil”, Research Conclave on Recent Innovations in Science and Engineering, RISE 2017, Silchar, 24-26 March, 2017.
- Sultana P. and Dey A. K., “Estimation of Uncertainty During Reaction Loading in Plate Load Tests”, Indian Geotechnical Conference, IGC 2016, Chennai, 15-17 December, 2016.
- Manikandan R. and Sultana P. “Fluid Structure Interaction (FSI) of Double Curvature Arch Dam Under Seismic Loading By the Application of Added Mass Technique and Acoustic Elements”, COMSOL Conference 2014, Bangalore, 13-14 November, 2014.
- Karmakar S. K., Sultana P. and Dey A. K., “Use of Jhama Columns as Replacement of Stone Columns”, Indian Geotechnical Conference, IGC 2016, Chennai, 15-17 December, 2016.
- Seal P. R., Sultana P. and Dey A. K., “Deterministic Seismic Hazard Analysis of Mawphu Dam Site”, Indian Geotechnical Conference, IGC 2017, Guwahati, 14-16 December, 2017.
- Debnath S. and Sultana P., “Prediction of Settlement of Shallow Foundation on Cohesionless Soil Using Artificial Neural Network”, 7th Indian Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference, IYGEC 2019, Silchar, March, 2019.
- Debnath S. and Sultana P., “Development of Liquefaction Index Prediction Equations from Post-Liquefaction CPT Data Using ANN and GEP”, Indian Geotechnical Conference, IGC 2019, Surat, 19-21 December, 2019.
WORKSHOPS / CONFERENCE ORGANIZED
- Dhawal Kumar
- Prasanjit Roy
- Hannanur Rahman
- Suman Hazari
- Krushna Chandra Jena
- Manikandan R
- Sanatombi Thounaojam
- Souvik Paul
- Ch. Anil Kumar Singha
- Siddhartha Kr. Karmakar
- Joshodi Haflongbar
- Pinaki Ranjan Seal
- Deepika Taye
- Balagari Laxmanna
- Sumit Das
- Ankit Sahu
- Sudeepta Malakar
- Sinjan Debnath
- Shreya Das
- Dhawal Kumar
- Nabaneet Dey
- Shantanu Dutta
- Prajnadeep Karna
- Shashwata Chatterjee
- Divya Shanu
- Aditya Sharma
- Akhter Manzoor Lone
- Rakesh Ranjan Kar