Date of Joining: 15/12/2014
Academic/Industrial Experience (in years):
More than 8 years of Academic and
2 years of Industrial Experience
ACADEMIC / INDUSTRIAL EXPERIENCE (Details)
- July, 2004 – June, 2006: Assistant engineer, Simplex Infrastructures Ltd.
- February, 2014 – December, 2014: Assistant Professor, Regent Education and Research Foundation
- December, 2014 – June, 2018: Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering Department, NIT Silchar
- June, 2018 – June, 2022: Assistant Professor (Grade I), Civil Engineering Department, NIT Silchar
- July, 2022 – Present: Associate Professor, Civil Engineering Department, NIT Silchar
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS (FULL DETAILS )
- Ph.D. from IIT Kharagpur (Thesis submitted Dec, 2013; awarded April 2014)
- M.C.E. from Soil Mech. and Foundation Engg. specialization of Dept. of Civil Engg., Jadavpur University in 2008
- B.E. from Department of Construction Engg., Jadavpur University in 2004
AREA OF INTEREST AND SPECIALIZATION (INCLUDING RESEARCH AREA)
- Soil Dynamics
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
- Pile Foundations
- Fiber Reinforced Soil
- Vibration Isolation
- Slope Stability Analysis
- Foundation on Slope
- Numerical Modelling
SHORT BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
Dr. Debjit Bhowmik is currently working as Associate Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering, NIT Silchar. Dr. Bhowmik has joined NIT Silchar in December, 2014 as Assistant Professor. Dr. Bhowmik did his Bachelor of Engineering (B. E.) in Construction Engineering from Jadavpur University in 2004. After that he worked in the industry as Assistant Engineer in Simplex Infrastructure Ltd. for 2 years. He obtained M.E. degree from Jadavpur University in 2008 and then Ph.D. degree from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 2014.
Dr. Bhowmik has been actively involved in teaching, research, consulting and also in administration for more than 10 years. He is the author or co-author of more than 30 scientific papers in reputed journals and conferences. He has already guided one Ph.D. student and 23 Nos M.Tech. Students. He is a member of Indian Geotechnical Society and Institute of Engineers India. He serves as secretary of IGS Silchar Chapter since its inception. He has actively participated in organising many events such as seminars, student meets, conferences etc.
The research interests of Dr. Bhowmik include behavior of pile foundations and block foundations for subjected to vibrations, foundation on reinforced soil slopes, soil stabilization using chemical and fiber, vibration isolation system for screening machine or high speed train induced vibrations. Recently, he has started working on prediction of landslide and development of landslide inventory map.
Debjit Bhowmik, Abir Sarkar, and Rahul Barman, “A Method for Using A Composite Geofoam and A Sand-Crumb Rubber Mixture as An Infill Material to Act as A Wave Barrier”, Australian Innovation Patent (2022), No. 2021104583.
BOOKS / BOOK CHAPTERS
1. Saha H. S. and Bhowmik D. , Effect of glass fiber on shear strength of soil, Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 775, pp 603-609, (2018), Trans Tech Publications Ltd, Switzerland. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.775.603
2. Sriparna Roy and Debjit Bhowmik, The Effect of Plastic Strain Variation on Nonlinear Behaviour of Soil, Geotechnical Characterization and Modelling: Proceedings of IGC 2018, Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, Springer, Vol. 85, 939-947, (2020), https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-6086-6_74
3. R Barman, A Sarkar and D Bhowmik, Numerical Study on Vibration Screening Using Trench Filled with Sand–Crumb Rubber Mixture, Seismic Hazards and Risk: Select Proceedings of 7th ICRAGEE 2020, Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, Springer, Vol. 116, 269-283, (2021), https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-9976-7_25
4. Malay Kumar Deb, Partha Ghosh, Debjit Bhowmik, Lipika Halder and Sankar Chakraborti, Ground Improvement of Soft Soil Using Bamboo as Flexible Pile with Stabilized Lime-Soil Pile-Cap Encapsulated by Geogrid and Geotextile, Ground Improvement Techniques: Select Proceedings of 7th ICRAGEE 2020, Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, Springer, Vol. 118, 165-178, (2021), https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-9988-0_16
5. Gautam, M. Hussain and D. Bhowmik, Effect of Geosynthetic Reinforcement on CBR Strength of Soft Soil-Aggregate System, Ground Improvement and Reinforced Soil Structures, Proceedings of Indian Geotechnical Conference 2020, Vol. 2, Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, Springer, Vol. 152, 685-696, (2022), https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-1831-4_61
6. R. Modak, D. Bhowmik and B. Singh, 3D Numerical Study of the Behavior of Piled Raft Foundation on Soft Clay with Uniform and Varying Pile Lengths, Ground Characterization and Foundations, Proceedings of Indian Geotechnical Conference 2020, Vol. 1, Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, Springer, Vol. 167, 553-564, (2022), https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-3383-6_49
SUBJECTS TAUGHT (INCLUDING SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING)
Advance Foundation Engineering
Advance Soil Mechanics
Dynamics of Soils and Foundations
Soil Foundation Interaction
Life member of Indian Geotechnical Society
Member of Institute of Engineers (India)
- Associate Dean (P&D) from 2016 to 2019
- Associate Warden (Hostel 8) from 2019 to 2021
MANUSCRIPT REVIEWED FROM
Name of Journal:
International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE
Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE
Geotechnical and Geological Engineering
1. Gautam Gautam, Kritesh Kumar Gupta, Debjit Bhowmik, and Sudip Dey, (2022). Probing the stochastic unconfined compressive strength of lime-RHA mix treated clayey soil, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE. (Accepted) DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0004638
2. Abir Sarkar, Rahul Barman, and Debjit Bhowmik, (2021). Numerical Investigation on Vibration Screening Using Geofoam and Sand–Crumb Rubber Mixture Infilled Trench, International Journal of Geosynthetics and Ground Engineering, Vol. 7 (4), pp. 84.1-84.14, DOI: 10.1007/s40891-021-00329-z
3. Abir Sarkar, Rahul Barman, and Debjit Bhowmik (2021). Estimation and prediction of screening efficiency of Sand Crumb Rubber (SCR) mix infill trench, International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/19386362.2021.1964784
4. Das, S. and Bhowmik, D. (2020), Small-strain dynamic behavior of sand and sand-crumb rubber mixture for different sizes of crumb rubber particle, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE. Vol. 32(11), pp. 04020334-1 to 9, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0003425
5. Das, S. and Bhowmik, D. (2020), Dynamic behaviour of sand-crumbed rubber mixture at low strain level, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering: An International Journal. Vol. 38(6), pp. 6611 -6622, DOI:10.1007/s10706-020-01458-4
6. Bhowmik, D., Baidya, D.K., and Dasgupta, S.P. (2016), A Numerical and Experimental Study of Hollow Steel Pile in Layered Soil subjected to vertical dynamic loading, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol.85, pp. 161-165.
7. Bhowmik, D., Baidya, D.K., and Dasgupta, S.P. (2013), A Numerical and Experimental Study of Hollow Steel Pile in Layered Soil subjected to lateral dynamic loading, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol.53, pp. 119-129.
1. Bhattacharya, P., Bhowmik, D., Mukherjee, S. P., and Chattopadhyay, B. C. (2008), Pullout Behaviour of Square Anchors in Reinforced Clay, 12th International Conference of IACMAG, Goa, Topic 13, pp 3441-3447.
2. Bhowmik, D., Baidya, D.K., and Dasgupta, S.P. (2011), Coupled Motion of Soil-Pile System under Dynamic Loading, Indian Geotechnical Conference, Kochi, Paper No.: N-145.
3. Bhowmik, D., Baidya, D.K., and Dasgupta, S.P. (2012), Numerical Simulation of Soil-Pile System subjected to Horizontal Dynamic Loading, Indian Geotechnical Conference, Delhi, Paper No.: F-622. pp. 711-714.
4. Bhowmik, D., Baidya, D.K., and Dasgupta, S.P. (2013), Numerical Analysis of Soil-Pile System subjected to Vertical Dynamic Loading, Indian Geotechnical Conference, Roorkee, Theme: 23, Paper No. 97.
5. Das S. and Bhowmik D. (2017), Small Strain Dynamic Behavior of Sand and Sand-Crumb Rubber Mixture in Dry Condition” Indian Geotechnical Conference 2017 GeoNEst, IIT Guwahati, India.
6. Sarkar R. and Bhowmik D. (2017), Effect Of Polypropylene Fiber Reinforcement On Cement Stabilization Of Local Red Soil In Silchar Area, Indian Geotechnical Conference 2017, GeoNEst, IIT Guwahati
7. Sarkar R. and Bhowmik D. (2017), Effect of Jute Reinforcement On Cement Stabilization of Local Red Soil in Silchar Area, National Conference on Recent Advancement in Geotechnical Investigation and Ground Improvement Technique, NIT Silchar
8. Sarkar, A. and Bhowmik, D. (2017), Site Soil Classification Applying Seismic Refraction Tomography, National conference on Recent Advancement in Geotechnical Investigation and Ground Improvement Technique, NIT Silchar.
9. Das S. and Bhowmik D. (2017), Effect of Saturation on Dynamic Properties of Barak River Sand at Small Strain Condition, National Conference on Recent Advancement in Geotechnical Investigation and Ground Improvement Technique, NIT Silchar
10. Das S. and Bhowmik D. (2017) Study of Small Strain Dynamic Behavior of Crumb Rubber Mixed with Sand using Resonant Column Apparatus, National Conference on Recent Advancement in Geotechnical Investigation and Ground Improvement Technique, NIT Silchar
11. Paul A., Sarkar A. and Bhowmik D. (2018), Subsurface Soil Characterization by Correlating P–wave velocity with engineering properties of soil, 16th Symposium on Earthquake Engineering, IIT Roorkee, 2018.
WORKSHOP / CONFERENCE ORGANIZED
- 1 Completed
- 6 on- going
- 21 Completed
- 03 On- going